Macclesfield Creative Writing Group – Constitution
These rules were decided by the group, on the 1st of September 2011. Together they form a set of boundaries, by which we all agree to abide.
- Each member will contribute £3 to each session that they attend.
- On special occasions, such as meetings with a guest speaker, the fee may rise slightly. However, this will happen with prior notice.
- Regular attendance is not mandatory, and we welcome members who attend on a “drop-in” basis, as well as those who come every week.
- We have no strict policy on punctuality.
- Late arrival is perfectly acceptable, with the following stipulations;
– The latecomer enters the room quietly, so as not to disrupt the session.
– The latecomer pays the required fee as usual.
4) Adult content and swearing in the work produced:
- We accept this. There will be no censorship, within the group and the meeting room at the library.
- However, for public performances and events, we may have to tailor our language, depending on the audience. This will be decided on a case-by-case basis.
5) Criticism of one another’s writing:
- We welcome feedback on work that we read out. This can be positive or negative.
- All criticism must be honest, respectful and constructive.
- Any abusive feedback will not be accepted.
6) Mobile phones:
- We ask that all phones be switched off or to silent mode during meetings.
- Calls may be taken, but we ask that you step outside to answer your phone.
7) Food and drink:
- We accept that people may need to bring in their own food and drink.
- We ask that it be a reasonable amount and type, and that it leaves no litter or mess behind.
8) The sharing of duties:
- Volunteers can lead a writing workshop if they wish.
- We also need a volunteer each week to organise the refreshments.
9) Guest speakers:
- Anyone can recommend and contact guests to speak at our meetings.
- We ask that you tell the group before booking anyone or arranging a fee.
10) The Annual General Meeting:
- We will hold an AGM at the end of July, before or after the final meeting of that month.
- We ask that as many members as possible attend, as well as the committee members.